WHAT IS POWER FACTOR CORRECTION?

ByMatthys JA Roos

WHAT IS POWER FACTOR CORRECTION?

img_0323

POWER FACTOR is the rawhat-is-power-factor_img1tio between the useful (true) power (kW) to the total (apparent) power (kVA) consumed by an item of a.c. electrical equipment or a complete electrical installation. It is a measure of how efficiently electrical power is converted into useful work output. The ideal power factor is unity, or one.

Wasted power is one of the main causes of high electricity usage

All motors and transformations needs a certain amount of reactive power (not– working power) for the Electro – Magnetic Field (EMF) to form around the motor in order for it to work.

The problem is that National energy supplier  is producing the reactive power to your business without you  even knowing how much you  really need. Your motors and appliances use what they need and then  send back to your electricity panel (DB), where it is “lost” (mistook) for heat.

 

power-factor-psd_beforepower-factor

But you did PAY  for the lost electricity, as it’s already moved through your meter.So what’s the answer to this problem? Power Factor Correction – Which means you only pay for the electricity you used.

Power Correction insures effective usage from electricity power. The ideal power Factor is 1.0. Anything  less than  one (or 100% efficiency) means  that additional power is needed  in order to perform the task  that was needed to  be done.

Most businesses only have a 0.77 power factor, or even less. This means that only 77% of the electricity that runs through the meter to industries or businesses  is used effectively ,  while the remaining 23% is wasted. With a low power factor National energy supplier should provide more electricity to do the same work.

The E Cap systems increases the power factor in most cases up to 97% or 98%  of which increases the effective usage of your electricity and  therefore decrease  your  electricity consumption.